Fearsome Gears holds Open House

Max Yoder, Staff

On Tuesday, the 20th of August, Twin Lakes robotics team, Fearsome Gears, had an open house to welcome new members. The new members were taken on a tour of the workshop. Once that was over, everyone introduced each other while eating popcorn, fruit punch, and sweets. After that they had a meeting and then team building exercises. The new members stated that they joined the program because they thought it would be fun, though they soon learned that robotics is more than just fun. It is also programming, building, safety, and an opportunity. Mrs. Yoder spoke about the many opportunities that FIRST, For Inspiration and Recognition in Science and Technology, offers. She said, “FIRST provides scholarships to students that participate in first, and you are able to network with professors and industry professionals.”  

Jessica Hill, Spirit Captain, lead the team on the team building exercises. As Jessica Hill puts it, “The games we played at our open house were not only fun, but informative as well. They were a great way to know one another and have some fun at the same time. From the games we played, I not only know more about the new members; I also have had time to talk to them as well.” The game were numerous and diverse, and as funny as it sounds Sharks and Minos was a huge success. As the members were running around the field, it was exciting and hilarious to see them falling all over the place, especially Jacob Blackburn and Jaden Baker (Business Captain). Another game they played was a game to learn about each other and work as a team to deceive specified individuals. 

During callout 40 new students signed up. So far 10 new students, ranging from freshmen to juniors, showed up to the open house at the shop (300 S 3rd St, Monticello, IN 47960). Some new members include Hunter Watwood (11th), Levi Norris (9th grade), Copper Coffman (9th grade), Sam Giron (11th), Ethan Clingman (11th grade), and Betsy Clingman (10th grade). This is the start of another exciting year for the robotics team. Their doors are always open to new members. See Mrs. Yoder for more details.