Senior Highlight – Sam Hitz: The Artist

Twin Lakes artist, Sam Hitz, is shown painting in one of their art classes.

Amelia Ford

Amelia Ford, Staff

If you have ever peeked in the art room, you have probably seen Sam Hitz working devotedly on their art at some point. Sam has many passions from theatre to art to literature, and they enjoy nothing more than working on projects dedicated to their interests. Sam has been an art student at Twin Lakes for four years, and has consequently completed an impressive portfolio of artwork and projects (you can see some of their work below). “Theatre has let me gain friends and confidence,” stated Hitz when asked about their theatre background. I asked Mrs. Padlo about Sam and she said, “Sam has been a dedicated student in all four years of art. In my intro classes, they were always going above and beyond to create the most unique projects. Sam has continued to blow me away with all of their artwork. Their watercolor art is what blows me away the most. I see Sam becoming a children’s book illustrator in their future. Good luck Sam!”

Free Choice art by Sam Hitz
Amelia Ford

Outside of school Sam enjoys painting, drawing, and restoring old dolls. If you’re like me you have probably never heard of this hobby, which made it so much more interesting when Sam informed me on the details. “Basically,” Sam explained “I get old dolls and repaint their faces, fix their hair, and put them in new clothes.” Sam uses this creative medium to express their art beyond the canvas, and to bring a new beauty to something that lacked it before.

After high school Sam plans to attend the IUPUI  Herron School of Art and Design to major in Illustration. Sam’s dream job is to be an illustrator for DreamWorks animation.

Water Color Collage created by Sam Hitz
Amelia Ford

When asked what they will remember most from high school, Sam said it was their friends that made these four years so special. Like most high school students, the friends and relationships formed during these formative years can make even the worst days bearable. According to Sam “It’s like a second little family.”

I chose to write my debut article about Sam Hitz because they are one of the most genuine people I know. I can always count on them to tell me the blunt truth when I need it most, and I admire them so much. Sam is one of the many amazing people that make me proud to be a Twin Lakes Indian.